• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Reading difficulties

juniortha3rd

Greenlighter
When I'm reading something (on a computer monitor, road signs, menus, etc) my brain tricks me into reading the wrong word.

For example, I just looked at the title of a thread and I read the the word "strongest" as "strangest." So I start reading the contents of the thread, and of course, it makes no sense, so I glance back at the title, and sure enough, I read it wrong

This is happening to me every day now. I will read the word incorrectly 3 or 4 times, with laser like concentration, only to realize seconds later that the word has changed.

It happens like, one letter gets replaced (tricked/tracked). Sometimes names get switched. (Sam/Sue) Sometimes its words that dont even make any sense, they just have the same amount of letters and start with the same letter.

Does anyone else switch words when they read? Does this make any sense to anyone?

yep. I have the exact same thing. It's only been recent, too, like within the past year or so. Does it come across in your typing, too? I just typed "look" instead of "like." I dunno, that may be different. Anyway, I experience the same thing. Sometimes the misinterpretations are pretty funny, but no one else would really get it.

I just remembered that the other day, I read SUSHI written on a piece of paper, only to later find out it read SUSAN.

Pot does this to me. I've always found it amusing. Could be that, if you smoke?

yep. I have the exact same thing. It's only been recent, too, like within the past year or so. Does it come across in your typing, too? I just typed "look" instead of "like." I dunno, that may be different. Anyway, I experience the same thing. Sometimes the misinterpretations are pretty funny, but no one else would really get it.

I just remembered that the other day, I read SUSHI written on a piece of paper, only to later find out it read SUSAN.

I never have problems typing, but your example of "sushi/susan" is the type of word switching I'm referring to. The words begin with the same letter, and are similar in length.

Yes, I do smoke (alot) but this happens to me even when I go weeks without smoking.

I'm hoping that this doesn't get worse!

Test for dyslexia?
I dunno. Does the disorder have an effective treatment?

^^^I'm not sure. There are so many theories on why people are dyslexic. And it seems that no one has it all figured out yet.

I am a major hypochondriac so I'm still running around thinking I got a brain tumor or something. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! :)